Tuesday Morning Open Thread: The Kleptocracy

It used to be third-world shiteholes and banana republics where the ruling autocrat was brought low by the thieving ways of his inept relatives. Thanks, GOP, for making this comic trope AMERICAN!

Within the warped internal logic of the Trump presidency — where it is taken as a given by essentially everybody around him that the president is impulsive and grotesquely ignorant — his shocking actions and statements have a more understandable basis.

A week ago, it appeared that the probe would center around the activities of a handful of figures who are now marginal within Trumpworld: former campaign manager Paul Manafort, foreign policy adviser Carter Page, and deposed National Security Adviser Michael Flynn. That has changed. The Washington Post reported Friday that investigators have identified a current White House official as a person of interest in its financial probe. (The story hinted, and New York Magazine contributor Yashar Ali confirmed, that the person is Jared Kushner.)…

All this implies that the probe is scrutinizing the financial aspects of Trump’s business, which is a family operation. While some Trump advisers opposed the firing of Comey, Kushner reportedly advocated for it. That fact may seem strange if one thinks of Kushner as a voice of pragmatism. But it is easier to understand if you think of him as a figure sitting near the heart of a financial scandal, who harbors a strong interest in suppressing the investigation…

The official White House line maintains — or has tried to maintain — that the administration welcomes special prosecutor Robert Mueller and sees his work as a chance to dispel the cloud of suspicion needlessly hanging over the presidency. Their actions suggest a very different calculation. From Trump’s campaign to ensure the loyalty of his FBI director, to his subsequent firing of him, to his tweet-rages against the special prosecutor as an unfair witch hunt — all of this indicates high levels of panic in the Oval Office. Trump has almost certainly engaged in obstruction of justice for the simple reason that there is a lot of justice to obstruct.

Of course, like every other aging crime family capo, the old man can’t resist going back to his known accomplices…

160 replies
  1. 1
    bystander says:

Waking up to the horror in Manchester and tales of the vile toady a bunch of ignorant Americans unleashed on the world.

On the brighter side, am I alone in hearing “Tresemme” every time I hear “Theresa May”?

2. 2
    Elizabelle says:

Doesn’t that photo make Jared look like dead thing walking? Methinks that’s not an accident.

Also putting up this research project. I hesitate a little at the invasion of privacy, but it would allow us to be in touch with green’s wonderful family again, and would be another way to put up a fresh blogpost with an obit, with link to the three charities. To which we could contribute with an actual name. [Or not, if the family prefers privacy. All is good.]

What do you guys think? I’m remembering how much we all loved learning more about the late, great General Stuck, and learning that Charlie was safe and cared for. I’d bet his sister was glad to know he had so many online friends, who really cared about him.

Alain: thank you for setting up the donations box for greennotGreen. I hope we raise a good amount of $$$.

Does anyone with mad research skillz want to take on trying to find her obit? I did a quick skim of obits in the (Nashville) Tennessean; didn’t see anything but will try again.

All I know is that green lived “west of Nashville”, apparent date of leaving us was May 18, leaves behind at least a sister and a niece, appears to be a well-educated, possibly white woman; loved gardening, birds, and rescuing pets in need. Little dog heaven. I guess also a brother and sister in law (because of the initial resistance to dealing with the birds??)

I do have two other methods to try to reach the family, but haven’t done so yet. (Contacting a pet rescue, and the Avielle Foundation.)

Has green’s family been in touch with us since?

3. 3
    Betty Cracker says:

I’m delighted that the Trump-Russia investigation is training its sights on the corruption angle. This hive of grifting greedheads masquerading as an administration presents a target-rich environment.

@bystander: “Tresemme” had not occurred to me before, but it will from now on!

4. 4
    PsiFighter37 says:

All this is going to take a temporary back seat to what happened in Manchester last night. Of course, the main thing that sticks out is that Dear Leader said that it’s best to call the terrorists ‘losers’, because calling them names is definitely going to be how we should address terrorism.

Good God.

5. 5
    David 🍁Canadian Anchor Baby🍁 Koch says:

Trump refused to say “Radical Islamic Terrorists” in front of his Saudi paymasters and the next day a terrorist attack occurs.

The connection couldn’t be more clear.

6. 6
    Betty Cracker says:

@Elizabelle: I’m not really comfortable with this, tbh. People are free to do internet sleuthing on their own, of course, but my feeling is if the family wanted to share that info, they would have done so since they were kind enough to communicate with us during green’s illness. That they chose not to reveal her RL info (at least so far) seems to me something we should respect.

General Stuck was a different situation altogether, IMO. He disappeared. Folks were concerned. Cole sleuthed and contacted the family before posting that info, IIRC. I know you mean well, and I hope this doesn’t come off as scolding — I don’t mean it that way at all! Just my $.02, FWIW.

7. 7
    David 🍁Canadian Anchor Baby🍁 Koch says:

Remember last year there was an attack in Brussels while Obama was in Cuba and every republican ran to the nearest camera and demanded Obama return to DC (which made no sense as the attack wasn’t even in this hemisphere).

Yet oddly, not a single republican has called on Drumpf to cancel the remainder of his trip.

It’s almost as if the republicans are craven liars who exploit and politicize dead victims.

8. 8
    Elizabelle says:

@Betty Cracker: Oh, I totally think we should contact the family before posting. If possible. Am wondering if it’s just something the family did not think of, in their grief and press of business in wake of losing green.

Glad for your comment. It’s a tiny bit of what’s stopped me, so far, from contacting the two orgs that knew green in life. Hmmm.

(Although: I think the family would LOVE to hear that green’s passing elicited 220+ comments, and that was just on the official memorial thread. She was beloved here.)

9. 9
    bystander says:

@Betty Cracker: Thanks. I was afraid it was just because I’m gay. Now I’m realizing it’s because of Mika’s breathless delivery this morning.

10. 10

Good Morning, Everyone😐😐😐

11. 11
    satby says:

@Elizabelle: I’m hoping that we haven’t heard yet because her family is dealing with the aftermath of her passing and the mother’s illness. It’s possible we still may hear, I hope so. But I also was going to try to find a likely obit. And if there’s a donations box thread, could we have a pointer to it? I’m struggling to keep up in these packed news days, and I know I’m not the only one.

I really appreciate you keeping the focus on this Elizabelle. I remember the days of Stuck, the worry and then sadness and relief to know what had happened and that Charlie was ok.

Edited to add: I’m not ok with publicly naming anybody without consent either, my sleuthing would only be to potentially send a sympathy card and ask permission to share.

12. 12
    bystander says:

@PsiFighter37:

You’re obviously not watching Moanin’ Joe. They went immediately from TRESemmé to Trump asking Dan Coats to back off any of the Russia stuff. Joe is doing the best imitation of the guy you never wanted to see called on in law school ever, and Jonathan Turley is studiously telling his students how wrong they all are.

13. 13
    Elizabelle says:

@satby: Oh, dog, yes. The mother’s illness. The trials that family has faced this spring.

Donations box is at the top right corner. Thanks, Alain (I am guessing).

14. 14
    gene108 says:

@satby:

Donation links are on the upper right-hand corner of this blog. Not sure, if it is visible in mobile version of the blog.

15. 15
    bjacques says:

That pic above looks familiar…

16. 16
    amk says:

Guessing the stiff penalty laws that american companies face for indulging in bribery in other countries do not apply when it’s done in-house?

17. 17
    OzarkHillbilly says:

@Betty Cracker:

This.

18. 18
    Immanentize says:

@bjacques: The resemblance is Kray Kray.

19. 19
    JPL says:

Why does Carter Page want to testify behind closed doors? From what I read, it didn’t say he had classified information.

20. 20
    David 🍁Canadian Anchor Baby🍁 Koch says:

@bystander: Turley is a joke. He used to call Obama a dictator because of his of executive orders, even though he issued fewer EOs of any president in 120 years.(¹) Yet he’s fine with Trump’s naked abuse of power.

21. 21
    JPL says:

Betty is right. Donations given to the Avielle Foundation, with a short note in memory of their friend, is probably enough information.

22. 22
    satby says:

@JPL: That’s how I was going to donate, because it seemed most likely the family would learn it was in her honor, and because I think that’s a wonderful cause.
    I’m hoping they did get to see and read the condolences on the thread of her passing and that it was a bit of comfort to them.

23. 23
    Immanentize says:

@Elizabelle: @Betty Cracker:
    Elizabelle,.I agree with Betty on this. I have seen how much work and love you put into keeping GnG with us and us with her. You, I think, are grieving too and I also would like to reconnect with the sister and niece. But I think that ought to be on their terms in their time. I saw a few “let’s find him” efforts go really wrong in the earlier Kos days. I would hate for us, even with the absolute best intentions formed by love, ever to become an additional worry for the family at a time like this.

Me? I’m actually easy to find. But if my wife was the one commenting she would leave no clues and would never want to be found in RL. People have their own reasons for being private or not. I think at the very least, some time should be allowed before any contact is made.

24. 24
    Jeffro says:

Hey (apologies if this has been mentioned earlier) David Anderson’s got a nod – WITH A LINK TO BALLOON JUICE in Catherine Rampell’s latest op-ed: Want to know what Trumpcare would do to the country? Look at the implosion in Iowa.

As passed in the House, the American Health Care Act would let states get waivers allowing insurers to offer new plans that don’t meet Obamacare’s coverage or cost requirements. In other words, as in Iowa, Trumpcare would permit healthier and younger people to sort themselves into cheaper plans that cover little, and leave sicker and older people in more expensive plans. Which, as in Iowa, would probably cause markets to unravel.

This isn’t the only thing throwing Iowa’s individual markets out of whack. The state also has one very sick, very expensive enrollee on its Obamacare exchange — and the predicament this presents offers a further lesson for what we should expect from Trumpcare.

According to Wellmark, an insurer that recently announced plans to leave the Iowa exchange next year, a single unnamed patient there racks up more than $1 million in health bills per month. In a sparsely populated state, with an already relatively sick and small insurance pool, no insurer wants to catch this falling knife, as Duke University health researcher David Anderson put it.

25. 25
    kindness says:

One can not live on Trump pnews alone.

Talk about steals, what about those Warriors going 12 – 0 in the playoffs so far? I have to figure a Cavs – Warriors final for the 3rd time will bore most to tears but being a N. Cal boy I’m cool with it still.

26. 26
    MomSense says:

I still say Jared looks very Tom Riddle.

27. 27
    kindness says:

@MomSense: Jared will look good in stripes. Just like his Dad. That apple didn’t fall far.

28. 28
    satby says:

@gene108: thanks, it’s not. I’m going to get into the laptop later today.

29. 29
    Quinerly says:

Please, let’s all respect greenNotGreen’s privacy…and her family’s privacy. If they wanted us to know her identity or more about her, they would tell us. I, personally, am uncomfortable with “sleuthing.”

30. 30
    OzarkHillbilly says:

@David 🍁Canadian Anchor Baby🍁 Koch:

he issued fewer EOs of any president in 120 years.(¹)

Did not know that (always figured he was middle of the pack) thanx for the link.

31. 31
    Baud says:

@rikyrah: Good morning.

32. 32
    Baud says:

@David 🍁Canadian Anchor Baby🍁 Koch: I’m not a Turley fan, but I thought he went after Trump for firing Comey.

33. 33
    debbie says:

@Elizabelle:

You know, sometimes you just have to sit back and wait. I think your proposal may unintentionally be crossing a line.

34. 34
    debbie says:

@bystander:

I’d bet Jared has used that deer-in-the-headlights look to accomplish much evil.

35. 35
    Betty Cracker says:

@Jeffro: Glad WaPo linked directly to Dave’s post rather than putting up a general site link like Politico (or was it Axios?) recently did. That must’ve confused the hell out of people!

36. 36
    debbie says:

@David 🍁Canadian Anchor Baby🍁 Koch:

Or they don’t want him anywhere near them.

37. 37
    bystander says:

@David 🍁Canadian Anchor Baby🍁 Koch: I used to follow Turley’s blog. At some point he started sounding like a lawyer angling for a WH gig and the consequent enrichment. In fact, he still does.

@debbie: Jared comes by it all so naturally you’d think he was raised by thieves. I’m guessing Lucretia gave him a few lessons in perfecting his RBF.

38. 38
    p.a. says:

Republican base now so stupignorant they can’t even elect competent corruptards á
    la Cheney admin.

39. 39
    Elizabelle says:

Thank you guys. I shall abide by your suggestions; it’s one reason I wanted to check with you all before I did anything.

But other Juicers, please feel free to weigh in.

I am going to hope that green’s family checks in with us again when they can. Main reason I’d wanted to sleuth: to attach a name to the donations to the three charities.

Too bad we never did a Nashville area meetup!

40. 40
    debbie says:

@PsiFighter37:

Or, like we said when we were kids: “It takes one to know one!”

41. 41
    aimai says:

@Elizabelle: No, I do not think that is appropriate.

42. 42
    Elizabelle says:

@Jeffro: Great to hear.

David Anderson/BJ Dick has gotten a lot of attention from the fabulous (Pulitzer Prize winning) Michael Hiltzik too. Business columnist of the Los Angeles Times.Link to his columns.

Hiltzik: Trump didn’t blow up Obamacare on Monday, but left it hanging by a thread [UPDATED with breaking news]
    (a recent, informative column; not anything with David in it.)

Hoping we see a shout out from K-Thug (Paul Krugman) and other respected writers, in the future.

43. 43
    Kay says:

The best thing about a Kushner scandal would be it’s punishment for hiring his son in law in the first place. Ultimately it was just dumb. Trump can’t distance himself from Kushner and he can’t fire Kushner.

Trump is stuck with him, no matter what. He was a fool to put himself in that position.

We probably didn’t need a law barring nepotism because no President prior was dumb enough to tie himself irrevocably to the actions of a family member.

44. 44
    Elizabelle says:

@aimai: Ta.

45. 45
    Jeffro says:

@Elizabelle: i’m just glad they are visiting the site and reading some of the threads – there are a lot of talented people here

46. 46
    debbie says:

@Kay:

Considering his actions on behalf of Flynn, can you imagine the number of sleazy requests/threats Trump would propose on behalf of Jared?

47. 47
    glaukopis says:

@Elizabelle: I’ll add my voice to those recommending restraint. The family knows how to talk to Juicers and will if they want to.

48. 48
    David 🍁Canadian Anchor Baby🍁 Koch says:

@Baud: I don’t know about that, but he appeared on Moring Blow last week and spent a long portion arguing that Trump’s numerous statements that he fired “nut job” Comey to take the “pressure” off the FBI investigation is not evidence of obstruction. I don’t know how anyone can say that when Nixon was impeached for attempting to turn off an investigation. I haven’t seen the show, but apparently Turley is at it again today, saying Trump demanding the IC make false statements in hindrance of an ongoing investigation isn’t obstruction.

49. 49
    kd bart says:

Here some good news. The latest poll of the Georgia 6th by Survey USA & the local NBC station has Ossoff leading by 7, 51-44.

50. 50
    Baud says:

@David 🍁Canadian Anchor Baby🍁 Koch: Lots of criminal defendants would like the same amount of leeway.

51. 51
    satby says:

@Quinerly: Ok, it was clear from both Elizabelle’s and my comments that no one would be outed, just invited to disclose if they chose to. Let’s just drop the ideas that anyone intended anything else, because that’s not the case.

52. 52

@debbie:

Zero.

He’d want to “clear the field.”

53. 53
    Elizabelle says:

WRT restraint in contacting people: this LA Times column kind of makes similar points. And I hope it does not seem flippant to put it up, given the topic we were discussing:

Best advice I ever got for dating a guy with kids: Be like a cat, not a dog

I know it’s against your nature,” she said,”but when it comes to his kids, be a cat, not a dog. You’re going to want to hug them and bond with them, but it’ll be better if you relax and hang back. Wait for them to come to you.”

Never mind just dating, there are a lot of situations where this is good advice. Be like a cat …

Elizabelle (woof)

54. 54

@David 🍁Canadian Anchor Baby🍁 Koch:

“He was just JOKING! Come ON! Who among us hasn’t made jokes like that, when we’ve been in a position of extreme power? You libtards have no sense of humor.”

55. 55

@David 🍁Canadian Anchor Baby🍁 Koch:
    Turley is a complete joke 😠😠😠

56. 56

@kd bart:

Looks like the Rethugs need to get their collective act together — those Dem votes ain’t gonna suppress themselves.

57. 57
    Quinerly says:

@satby:
    Stand by my comment. If people are looking for an obit, then a name…an identity…will come up. Her family knows how to find us and will if they want to post an obit. Have a great day.

58. 58
    Elizabelle says:

@satby: Yeah. That’s absolutely true, about the intended contacting the family for their guidance first. IIRC, that’s what John did when he searched for General Stuck, right? We would never had heard, had the sister not approved.

The only reason I went with this language in my second comment (“I totally think we should contact the family before posting. If possible.”) was in the event someone put the outcome in the comments section. Which is to be avoided! I did not think that through well enough, and appreciate Juicers’ input there.

Totally think it’s the family’s call.

59. 59
    Betty Cracker says:

@Kay: The raft of legislation it’s going to take to codify behavior that common sense and common decency adequately restrained 44 prior presidents from engaging in is gonna be voluminous enough to choke a goat. And it’s not like all 44 predecessors were honorable men, either. But Trump is in a class by himself.

60. 60
    Quinerly says:

@Elizabelle:
    And to add to my previous comments, I really appreciate all you did over those last few days in highlighting the sister’s posts. I think I said it back then but want to thank you again. Have a great day.

61. 61
    Elizabelle says:

@Quinerly: Yeah, they might very well. I just worry that they’re too modest to realize how much we’d love to hear from them!

Being catlike (comment 53; not meaning I have my talons claws out…),
    Elizabelle

62. 62
    Baud says:

1. Republicans engage in Watergate, spurring independent counsel law.

2. Republicans argue that independent counsel law infringes on the president’s authority.

3. Republican independent counsel abuse independent counsel law in witch-hunt of Bill Clinton.

4. Republicans allow independent counsel law to expire based on said abuses.

5. Republicans elect Donald Trump.

63. 63
    JPL says:

Jim Acosta twitter feed has the gem from Trump’s speech this morning
    Trump: “Under my administration you see the difference. Big big beautiful difference.”

Really?

64. 64
    Morzer says:

@Baud:

“Baud should stop playing politics with political matters.” (Predictable GOP response).

65. 65
    leeleeFL says:

@David 🍁Canadian Anchor Baby🍁 Koch: and Melania and Ivanka didn’t cover their heads and no one on the Rep/ Conservative side lost their shite. It almost uncanny how they think it’s okay to offend the Saudis NOW

66. 66
    Baud says:

@Morzer: Both sides!

67. 67

@JPL:

Jim Acosta twitter feed has the gem from Trump’s speech this morning

He is SUCH a fucking asshole.

Ongoing proof that there is no such thing as a Just God.

68. 68
    satby says:

@Elizabelle: I still think they’re just too busy and still dealing with their mom, who may have taken a turn for the worse after losing her daughter (I hope that’s not the case!). I suspect we’ll possibly hear back; hope so.

69. 69
    Baud says:

@JPL:

Your covert intelligence assets will notice the difference right away.

70. 70
    satby says:

@Baud: and their cult followers say “so what, so what, SO WHAT?”

71. 71
    Patricia Kayden says:

@David 🍁Canadian Anchor Baby🍁 Koch: Such a wuss. Criticized President Obama for not using certain magical words and then when given the chance doesn’t use those magical words.

@Baud: Republicans play the long game. They’ve perfected the circle of grifting.

72. 72

@leeleeFL:

and Melania and Ivanka didn’t cover their heads

I’d be OK with that, if someone would instead put a paper bag over Shitgibbon’s head. Preferably welding it there.

I don’t get physically ill when I see his face, but that’s only because I’m old and have a strong constitution. I’d riff on Krugman (“He’s an ugly person’s idea of what a good-looking person looks like”), but he doesn’t even merit that.

73. 73
    Morzer says:

Fox News founder Roger Ailes was forced out of the company last year by his bosses in the Murdoch family after being exposed. He died last week at the age of 77. Then his teenage son, Zachary Ailes, honored the old man’s memory by threatening his accusers at his eulogy with a quote from Tombstone.

Zachary pledged to fight to clear his father’s name after a series of sexual harassment allegations led to his ultimate ouster from Fox News.

“I want all the people who betrayed my father to know that I’m coming after them,” Zachary Ailes said during a speech at the ceremony, “and hell is coming with me.”

Hey, at least he knows where dad is.

74. 74
    rikyrah says:

I never saw how it was anything but a corruption case. I believe that Dolt45 is in hock up to his eyeballs with the RUSSIAN MOB. Who controls the Mob? Putin. We have a series of people, not just Kushner, with ties to the Russians. Have you seen some of the posts, connecting the web? I do hope that there follow the money, and just get all of them. But, it was always about corruption to me.

75. 75
    Morzer says:

@Baud:

But, by Rule 3/5 IOKIYAR, so, really, only one side does it!

QED!

76. 76

@Baud:

Your formerly-covert intelligence assets will notice the difference right away.

While they still have time, that is.

77. 77
    Morzer says:

@rikyrah:

It’s a corruption case that matters because Putin exploited and exploits Donnie Dumbass’s corruption to sow chaos in the politics/foreign policy of the US.

78. 78
    Patricia Kayden says:

@JPL: I see a huge difference but it’s not beautiful. Talk about delusional. If Trump sold delusions, he’d never have gone bankrupt.

79. 79
    Gin & Tonic says:

@Morzer: Apple, tree, &c.

80. 80

@Morzer:

Yeah, you do that, you little shit. I breathlessly await the result of you fucking with the wrong person(s). See Daddy a lot sooner than you originally planned, I’m a-guessing. Don’t bother bringing a down jacket, if you know what I mean, fuckwad.

81. 81
    Morzer says:

@Patricia Kayden:

If Trump sold delusions, he’d never have gone bankrupt.

Trump sold the delusion that he was competent to own a casino. Result: bankruptcies galore.

82. 82
    Morzer says:

@Gin & Tonic:

The poisoned apple does not fall far from the venomous orange tree, so to speak.

83. 83
    Morzer says:

@SFAW:

I would pay money to see Little Zach biting Rupert Murdoch’s scabby old ankles.

84. 84
    Gin & Tonic says:

@Kay:

dumb enough to tie himself irrevocably to the actions of a family member.

Where’s that old can of Billy beer last seen in the basement about a decade ago?

85. 85
    Quinerly says:

@Elizabelle:
    I suspect they are very busy with the mom and green’s house. I’m just thankful that the sister spent the time and energy to update us as much as she did at the end. We could have ended up really knowing nothing. Most people wouldn’t have taken the time. Very unusual people. I suspect the sister will show back up in a few weeks. Let’s hope so.

86. 86

@Morzer:

I would pay money to see Little Zach biting Rupert Murdoch’s scabby old ankles.

HEY!!! Give a Trigger Warning, will you!

87. 87

@Kay:
    I have to admit that I definitely want it to be Kushner, but whatever they get Kushner for, they can get Dolt45.
    We have suffered through the Bush Crime Family and The Evil One, but Dolt45 and crew are something altogether different.

88. 88
    OzarkHillbilly says:

@Morzer: We’re shaking in our boots.

89. 89
    Morzer says:

@SFAW:

“My name is Zach Ailes. You killed my father. Prepare to …”
    “Security, escort this whining zit-farm from the building!”

90. 90
    satby says:

@rikyrah: and hopefully a few other Rs too. Mitch and Paul would be nice collateral damage.

91. 91
    satby says:

@Morzer: aw, the kid is only 17 and just lost his father. It’s ridiculous, but 17 year olds often are even when not grief stricken.

92. 92
    efgoldman says:

@satby:

the kid is only 17 and just lost his father.

He also probably just found out that he can’t touch all. that. money for at least another year, maybe not until he turns 21, and even then it might be in trusts over which he has no authority,
    Would make *me* mad!

93. 93
    Morzer says:

@satby:

Well, a damn good thrashing will take his mind off his grief and gently mold his character into a better shape. Really, it’s almost a moral imperative.

94. 94
    Morzer says:

@efgoldman:

How much money will be left after the presumably numerous lawsuits against the estate? (Add in the monies expended on Mrs. Ailes 1.0, 2.0 etc and you might wonder just what is going to be left over for the brat.)

95. 95
    satby says:

Man, I’m on the wrong side of everything today!

96. 96
    Kay says:

@rikyrah:

I really, really want Sessions implicated enough so he has to resign. Aim high, rikrah! It’s not like it matters if we fall short- we’re internet commenters! :)

I loathe Sessions. I consider him much more dangerous to everyday Americans than Kushner. He’s the worst appointee and we can’t even say he’s not experienced like the rest of the bad Trump hires. He’s been around forever.

97. 97

@satby:

aw, the kid is only 17 and just lost his father.

Yeah, too fucking bad.

Most non-asshole 17-year-olds — grief-stricken or not — wouldn’t use a eulogy to threaten the victims of his evil father’s harassment. Maybe he thought he was Viserys Targaryen (in the early days).

98. 98
    D58826 says:

@debbie:

call the terrorists ‘losers’

He calls every one he doesn’t like a ‘loser’ so no big insult or condemnation there.

99. 99
    OzarkHillbilly says:

@satby: I’ve been on the wrong side of everything my whole life.

100. 100

@OzarkHillbilly:

I’ve been on the wrong side of everything my whole life.

And you think you’re special? That description applies to most of us jackals here.

101. 101
    Another Scott says:

‘Morning all. Some other news today:

I thought this bit of news was interesting, especially given where he was this week:

As part of its 2018 budget, the Trump administration is proposing to reduce by half the size of the Strategic Petroleum Reserve, a cushion against global price shocks and supply disruptions. The administration said it expects the drawdown to reduce the federal deficit by $16.6 billion, part of a package of deficit reduction measures over the next 10 years.

The proposal probably will run into sharp differences in Congress and among oil experts, most of whom say that the reserve should remain a buffer in an emergency. As of May 12, the reserve had 688.1 million barrels, equal to about 141 days of net imports of crude oil and refined petroleum products.

[…]

The sales would start at half a billion dollars in the next fiscal year and climb to $3.9 billion, for a total of $16 billion over the next decade. A policy brief floated by the conservative Heritage Foundation, a group that has exerted a major influence on the Trump budget, suggests selling off the entirety of the SPR over a two-to-three-year period (a more radical proposal than the Trump idea).

[…]

That cutoff of oil sales to the United States delivered a shock to the U.S. economy. More recently, strategists have defended the reserve as a bulwark against a possible disruption in supplies from Saudi Arabia, the world’s largest oil exporter, or a closure of the narrow Strait of Hormuz at the mouth of the Persian Gulf.

[…]

“The risk of complete collapse in Venezuela is just one of many reminders that the world remains vulnerable to oil price shocks, and those will be felt by U.S. consumers at the pump just as much today even though we import less oil than we used to because oil is a global commodity,” said Jason Bordoff, director of the Center on Global Energy Policy at Columbia University.

“The SPR is a 40-year-old national security asset that helps to protect the U.S., in partnership with other countries, from potential oil supply disruptions and price spikes. It would be foolish to sell it off just because our imports have fallen or to fill short-term budget holes, especially when oil prices are so low.” (Bordoff was President Barack Obama’s National Security Council adviser on energy and climate.)

This isn’t the first time the Strategic Petroleum Reserve has been tapped for revenue. A budget deal in October 2015 included sales of 58 million barrels — 8 percent of the reserve — from 2018 through 2025 to raise $5.1 billion, which would equal 0.125 percent of that year’s budget. In addition, Congress turned to sales of the reserve to meet financing needs of the Highway Trust Fund, which would drain the reserve of another 101 million barrels.

The administration’s plan to shrink the petroleum reserve would come after these earlier drawdowns, leaving the emergency buffer with about 270 million barrels, or less than 40 percent of the current level.

Nothing like selling off the country to give Vlad and OPEC greater strategic control over us, amirite? It’s not like they use oil and gas as a weapon, [cough] Gazprom and Ukraine [cough], or anything.

Oh, and those other things in the proposed budget include these little tidbits:

According to budget documents, proposed cuts to federal employee retirement programs would save the government around $4 billion in fiscal 2018 and $63 billion by fiscal 2027. [In other words, almost nothing in ~ $50+T to be spent by the federal government over that time.]

The elimination of cost of living adjustments under the Federal Employees Retirement System, and reducing the COLA by 0.5 percent for Civil Service Retirement System employees would save $524 million in fiscal 2018 and $41.8 billion over 10 years.

Increasing employees’ contributions to FERS by 1 percentage point a year for six years would reduce spending by $1.7 billion next year and $72.1 billion by fiscal 2027.

Unspecified “other federal retirement changes” would reduce spending by $1.9 billion in fiscal 2018 and $35 billion over the next decade. This could include measures reported last week like basing the value of employees’ retirement benefits on their highest five years of earnings, instead of the highest three years, and the elimination of supplemental payments for FERS employees before Social Security kicks in at age 62, beginning in 2018.

Emphasis added.

That will really help recruitment! Make people pay 6% more, cut COLAs, cut the average baseline, etc., etc. On top of the previous furlough and sequester cuts they forced on employees. On top of the other recent pay and benefit changes. On top of the threat to shut down the government in October.

They’re trying to hollow out our federal government from the inside and out. People outside the civil service need to pay attention too…

:-/

Cheers,
    Scott.

102. 102
    OzarkHillbilly says:

@SFAW:

And you think you’re special?

Yes. And modest too. Have I told you lately how modest I am? I am very modest. The capitol H in Hillbilly stands for Humble, because I am a very Humble Hillbilly.

103. 103
    NotMax says:

For someone with a documented phobia about germs, the hands are awfully filthy.

“Out, damn’d spotski! Out, I say!”

104. 104
    Chris says:

@rikyrah:

That’s always what I thought too – if there really is something there, it’s through the mob money Trump got when no bank in the West would touch him anymore.

105. 105
    Enhanced Voting Techniques says:

@David 🍁Canadian Anchor Baby🍁 Koch: He arguing Trump simply doesn’t know what a legal investigation is and mainly says things at random?

106. 106

@OzarkHillbilly:

No need to tell ME, it’s been obvious for many a moon. But I guess there are some others here who are unaware of your humility, so it’s good that you’re telling them how humble — bigly, right? — you are.

107. 107
    Jeffro says:

Larry Summers BRINGS THE THUNDER: Trump’s budget is simply ludicrous

The president’s personal failings are now not just center stage but whole stage. They should not blind us to the manifest failures of his economic team. Whether it is Secretary Mnuchin’s absurd claims about tax cuts not favoring the rich, Secretary Ross’s claim that the small squib of a deal negotiated last week with China was the greatest trade result with China in history, NEC Director Cohn’s ludicrous estimate of the costs of Dodd-Frank, or today’s budget, the Trump administration has not yet made a significant economic pronouncement that meets a minimal standard of competence and honesty.

Larry, stop holding back, tell us how you really feel…

Is “billionaire looters” perhaps the best way to describe Trumpov & Co? Or is everyone just going with “Trump Crime Cartel”?

108. 108

@Kay:

Come sit by me and we can talk about our mutual loathing of Attorney General White Citizens Council.

109. 109
    NotMax says:

@Jeffro

Bigger than a cartel We need a whole new term.

Bustel?

110. 110
    OzarkHillbilly says:

@SFAW: Just educating the rubes. Another service I provide, free of charge, and with great, bigly, humility

111. 111
    Chris says:

@Kay:

Agree completely. He’s easily the most dangerous man in the new administration – and they’re going to defend him harder than they have Flynn or Bannon, because his voter-suppression shtick is what the entire party has its hopes for the future pinned on.

112. 112
    Spanky says:

@Jeffro: Aw geez … Somebody tell Baud to put his pants on. Company’s coming.

113. 113
    Chris says:

@Jeffro:

“Billionaire looters” is a bit unspecific. That increasingly seems to be the most popular way for an honest American capitalist to make a buck.

114. 114
    NotMax says:

@Chris

Stolesheviks.

115. 115
    Spanky says:

@Betty Cracker:

Yeah, but they’ll collectively be known as “Trump Laws”, so the shitgibbon will get his wish of going down in history. At least he’s got that going for him. (Snort.)

116. 116
    Laura says:

@gene108: not visible on the mobile.

117. 117
    D58826 says:

@Another Scott: Congress critters are saying its DOA on the Hill. One small silver lingh about this is that the GOPPERs will be voting to spend more money that Der Fuhrer wants and will be defending these programs after decades of calling for their elimination.

118. 118
    satby says:

Where’s HeleninEire? Been practicing my Irish Gaelic on Duolingo, just in case she wants to brush up on it. 😊

119. 119
    satby says:

@Another Scott:

All his voters hear is gas flooding the market and dropping prices lower than $2/gal. If they then bounce up to $4/gal, it’ll probably be some Democrat’s fault somehow.

120. 120
    Rand Careaga says:

@SFAW:

Ongoing proof that there is no such thing as a Just God.

My college sweetheart said much the same thing, with great feeling, the night Nixon was re-elected (she took particular exception to his victory speech, in which he congratulated his campaign for having fought “clean”). When I reminded her of this two years later, she said “Well, they do say that God moves in mysterious ways.”

121. 121

Police, FBI investigating University of Maryland killing as possible hate crime
    by Carrie Wells
    The Baltimore Sun

A black Bowie State University student who was set to graduate this week may have been killed over the weekend in a random, racially-motivated attack by a white University of Maryland, College Park student, officials said Sunday.

UM’s police chief said Sunday that the suspect, Sean Christopher Urbanski, of Severna Park, was a member of an offensive, racist Facebook group. An FBI official, who said the federal agency will assist with UM’s investigation, said officials are investigating it as a possible hate crime, but that they have not made a formal determination of a motive.

Artie Lee Travis, Bowie State’s vice president for student affairs, said the campus is in mourning.

“We are looking forward to the quickest investigation as possible,” he said. “Hate has no place in America. Hate has no place on a college campus where young minds are coming together to try to change the world.”

Witnesses said the suspect was intoxicated and incoherent at the time of the attack. Police have said it was random and the victim and suspect did not know each other.

Officers were called to the scene around 3 a.m. Saturday, and they found Collins wounded on the sidewalk. Urbanski was arrested there and officers recovered a folding knife, police said.

The unprovoked attack was captured by surveillance cameras, said Sgt. Rosanne Hoaas, spokeswoman for the campus police.

Collins was waiting for an Uber ride with two Maryland students near a bus stop on campus when he was attacked, police said. He died at the hospital.

According to charging documents, Collins’ friends heard Urbanski scream as he approached them from next to the trees near the bus stop.

Urbanski said “Step left, step left if you know what’s best for you,” the documents say. Collins said “no” and Urbanski continued to approach before stabbing him once in the chest, they say.

THIS is Trump’s America.
    ALT-RIGHT is nothing but WHITE SUPREMACY.
    Where are you, Attorney General White Citizens Council?
    Here is a young man, full of promise. Doing what’s right. Killed for his EXISTENCE!!
    Don’t give me any bull about his murderer being a ‘lone wolf’. He’s no ‘lone wolf’. He’s NOT mentally ill. Don’t even begin with that foolishness.

122. 122
    Gin & Tonic says:

It appears the actor Roger Moore (not B-J commenter Roger Moore) has passed away.

123. 123
    hovercraft says:

@Jeffro:

Congrats to David, now excuse me while I go fix my hair and make-up, people are watching us, and I need to be ready for my close-up!

124. 124
    rikyrah says:

I’m not sure people truly appreciate the Madoff-level accounting fraud involved in Trump’s budget. Bear with me… 1/

— Seth Hanlon (@SethHanlon) May 23, 2017

The fraud here goes beyond “rosy” forecasts. It even goes beyond “voodoo economics”–the debunked theory that tax cuts pay for themselves. 2/

— Seth Hanlon (@SethHanlon) May 23, 2017

But wait – it’s actually worse than that. Not only is the $5.5 trillion cost of the tax cuts not included in the budget numbers… 4/

— Seth Hanlon (@SethHanlon) May 23, 2017

So in other words, they are claiming that tax cuts WILL PAY FOR THEMSELVES—something no credible economist believes—AND THEN SOME. 6/

— Seth Hanlon (@SethHanlon) May 23, 2017

@gregleiserson Bears repeating: Trump budget claims that the tax cuts, whose cost is est. by @BudgetHawks at $5.5T, will actually INCREASE rev. by $2T. 8/

— Seth Hanlon (@SethHanlon) May 23, 2017

125. 125

$360 billion in deals – so Saudis want Trump to rescind 9/11 lawsuit law:
    “Saudi officials have been quietly lobbying the administration and Congress to overturn the Justice Against Sponsors of Terrorism Act,
    which led more than 800 families to file suit in New York in March. The problem: Trump supported the bill and can’t do much to change it even if he wanted to. (http://www.rawstory.com/2017/0.....wsuit-law/)

126. 126
    Jeffro says:

@Chris:

Corporate thugs? Bespoke-suited stick-up men? Traitors to the Republic? Evil bastards?

Billionaire arsonists, maybe?

127. 127
    rikyrah says:

Here is the information that @OversightDems are now pushing @jasoninthehouse to subpoena the White House for:https://t.co/Er4DNv3TEo pic.twitter.com/72I7z9q0HE

— Greg Sargent (@ThePlumLineGS) May 23, 2017

128. 128
    rikyrah says:

NYT spoke to administrator & founder of Alt Reich Nation FB group Collins’ accused killer belonged to. They claim it’s satire @cbsbaltimore pic.twitter.com/NPMWqT6PTc

— Mike Hellgren (@HellgrenWJZ) May 23, 2017

129. 129
    rikyrah says:

Richard Collins, black, was killed allegedly by white Univ of Md student. Suspect belonged to racist FB group. Attack unprovoked police say https://t.co/atqxIdc6Fh

— Jayne Miller (@jemillerwbal) May 23, 2017

Chair set up with graduation gown in honor of slain Bowie State student Richard Collins. @ABC7News pic.twitter.com/4kJhvhldy0

— Brad Bell (@ABC7Brad) May 23, 2017

130. 130

@Gin & Tonic:
    He was 89?

Not our James Bond.

Live and Let Die was my favorite of his Bond movies.

131. 131
    Jeffro says:

@rikyrah: great minds and all that…was just now ‘liking’ that whole tweet thread, rikyrah.

The level of deception of these people, it’s unbelievable. “Here’s our budget…which doesn’t include 5.5T in tax cuts for the rich, but DOES include a 2T revenue windfall from those same tax cuts. Which aren’t in our budget. See?”

What’s the line again: “Why, sometimes I’ve believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.” Who knew Trumpov was the Red Queen?

132. 132
    ThresherK says:

@Gin & Tonic: I feel not-so-young.

The only Bond movie I saw in a theater was “A View to a Kill”, on a date with an older woman from the classifieds (back when there were newspapers, and the personal ads weren’t all “meet Russian women in your area” or guys pretending they wanted LTRs).

The date aspect of this went nowhere, but I got a friend who is still in my orbit thirty years later. And given how introverted I am, that’s saying something.

133. 133
    SiubhanDuinne says:

@Gin & Tonic:

Always loved him as Simon Templar in The Saint, long before the James Bond days. R.I.P.

Also note that Dina Merrill has died. She is probably less well known for her acting than for her personal connections: she was at one time married to actor Cliff Robertson, and her parents were the fabulously wealthy E. F. Hutton and cereal heiress Marjorie Merriweather Post. Yes, that Marjorie Merriweather Post, of Mar-a-Lago fame.

134. 134
    Chris says:

@Gin & Tonic:

First Bond actor to pass away, isn’t he?

It will understandably and rightly be overshadowed by Manchester, but sad news all the same. As far as his work went; I’m fonder of his Bond movies than many (he had a real stinker or two, but heck, so did Connery – and Craig for that matter), and have actually gotten more so over time. Enjoyed him as Simon Templar in the handful of episodes of that that I’ve seen. And I also remember him from a guest star role in Alias – only one episode, but one in which he gets to completely PWN the Big Bad of the show.

Rest in peace.

135. 135
    Chris says:

@Jeffro:

I meant the Trumps specifically, not our entire corporate class.

136. 136
    hovercraft says:

@leeleeFL:

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

Many people are saying it was wonderful that Mrs. Obama refused to wear a scarf in Saudi Arabia, but they were insulted.We have enuf enemies
    11:40 AM – 29 Jan 2015

5,275 5,275 Retweets
    2,751

If Michelle had covered her hair maybe they wouldn’t have noticed what was so offensive about her, she was/is blah.

ETA, is

137. 137
    Barbara says:

@kindness: It’s fair to say that Kushner learned the wrong lessons from his father’s prosecution. He seems to blame the prosecutors (which is fairly common among convicts and their families) and even more disturbingly, his aunt and uncle for not being willing to join his father’s plot to obstruct the investigation into his dealings. So it is fair to infer that in his view, interfering with an investigation into whatever it is he might have done is a fair use of his influence. What might he be doing? My best guess is that he is laundering money from Russian oligarchs in a way that violates U.S. sanctions against Russia, as well as various tax and financial regulations.

138. 138
    NotMax says:

@SiubhanDuinne

Learned only yesterday that Don Rickles died last month.

Never my cup of (bitter) tea but appreciated during his long, long career by many.

139. 139
    Barbara says:

@hovercraft: No, if she had covered her hair she would have been accused of capitulating to a foreign power. It doesn’t matter what she did. That was never the point.

140. 140
    SiubhanDuinne says:

@Chris:

First Bond actor to pass away, isn’t he?

David Niven.

:: ducks and runs away ::

141. 141
    NotMax says:

Kind of wondering if downstairs neighbor Manafort is babysitting Barron while Mrs. Dolt 45 is away.

142. 142
    SFBayAreaGal says:

@SiubhanDuinne: Dina Merrill is in the Young and Restless a soap opera on CBS. She is playing the mother of the Abbott family on the show.

143. 143
    Chris says:

@SiubhanDuinne:

Yeah, you better run!

144. 144
    SiubhanDuinne says:

@NotMax:

I had seen about Rickles’ death at the time. Can’t remember if there was any discussion on BJ, but probably at least a few comments.

His comedy was never much to my personal taste either, but I always cut him a lot of slack because his best friend for decades was Bob Newhart. And supposedly he (DR) was a genuinely decent and generous guy in real life.

145. 145
    Ladyraxterinok says:

@SFAW: Ýears ago our son (soon to be 48) asked us “Don’t you guys ever vote for someone who wins??”

146. 146
    NotMax says:

@SiubhanDuinne

Don’t recall word one on B-J either.

Founded and funded an eponymous hospital benefits program for children in L.A., if memory serves.

His first foray into series TV never got past the pilot stage – Kibbe Hates Finch, co-starring Lou Jacobi.

147. 147
    hovercraft says:

@Barbara:
    Oh I know, short of dragging her husband out of the White House and apologizing to America for having the audacity to rise above their places, nothing the Obama’s did would ever have been good enough. That’s the problem with uppity ni**ers, they just won’t shut up and go away.

ETA: And add insult to injury, even now that the EH has been fumigated and taken back by “Real America”, they are gallivanting around the world looking happy and relaxed making millions!

148. 148
    SiubhanDuinne says:

@SFBayAreaGal:

According to the Magical Googling Machine™, there is a character on TY&TR named Dina Mergeron, played by an actress named Marla Adams. No connection at all to Dina Merrill.

149. 149
    NotMax says:

@SiubhanDuinne

One in a long, long, long line of actresses whose acting was just passable but whom the camera loved.

150. 150
    ThresherK says:

@SiubhanDuinne: I saw Dina Merrill in the 1983 revival of On Your Toes; I just never knew it until today. Her duets were “Too Good for the Average Man” and “The Heart is Quicker than the Eye”.

I was in college, where everyone was breaking all the rules and doing weird things without their parents’ supervision, like falling in with the Rodgers and Hart crowd.

151. 151
    Ladyraxterinok says:

@SiubhanDuinne: Ĺoved The Saint books. He was NOT my idea of The Saint. Sorry to learn of his death.

152. 152
    SFBayAreaGal says:

@SiubhanDuinne: OMG, you are correct. Reminder to myself, drink that second cup of coffee before posting 😄

153. 153

@SiubhanDuinne:

David Niven.

You’re my girl.

But you forgot Peter Sellers and Woody Allen.

And piss on the haters.

154. 154
    Gin & Tonic says:

@NotMax: I would not trust Paul Fucking Manafort to babysit a venomous snake.

155. 155
    The Lodger says:

@Gin & Tonic: Personally, I’d love to see Paul Manafort babysit a venomous snake. Or at least try to.

156. 156

@SiubhanDuinne:

I actually knew that about her. The whole, E.F. Hutton and Post, as in Post Cereal…

damn…money everywhere..LOL

157. 157
    Steve in the ATL says:

@SiubhanDuinne: fun fact: Ian Fleming did not want David Niven to play James Bond, because Niven was the perfect Englishman and Bond was not.

To my knowledge, Fleming did not weigh in on Woody Allen as Bond.

158. 158

@Steve in the ATL:

To my knowledge, Fleming did not weigh in on Woody Allen as Bond.

He would have, but his head a-sploded.

159. 159
    artem1s says:

I wonder if Dumbass is really considering bringing back Lewandowski or if Lewandowski is trying to stick his fingers in the pie to find out how hot it is? Also, the minions who led Donnie into this con have to answer to Putin and they will be trying desperately to CYA. Donnie didn’t think up this crap. He just got hooked into the long con of disrupting American elections and IC community. He has no idea what to do with this power now that he has it. He just lurches from one bad idea to the next, leaving chaos, face palms, and incriminating statements, in his wake as he goes. Mueller (like Comey) is capable of turning over some pretty slimy rocks. No telling what is gonna crawl out from under them when he does. And the minions who helped put this all in motion are starting to get panicky as they realize that Twittler and his merry band of idiots are not going to make very safe patsies for them.

160. 160
    Jack the Second says:

Obituaries (if you aren’t a [local] celebrity) are usually paid for by the family, and can run any time between the death of the deceased and their funeral; if you have a delay between the two (eg, cremation followed by a funeral when the family is able to gather), the funeral directors will usually recommend waiting until a week or two before the funeral to run the obituary, so that other people who might want to attend can be informed.

So you might not see an obituary immediately, if you are searching.

Comments are closed.